1. Set aside time each day for complete mental and physical relaxation.
2. Avoid sitting in soft furniture and crossing your legs at the knees.
3. When working at a computer have your chair set for your height, the monitor straight ahead of you, and the mouse close to you so you’re not overreaching and straining your neck. Take breaks and use a stand up desk when available.
4. When texting, reading or writing avoid a sharp forward angle of your head which strains your neck causing pain or headaches.
5. Avoid cradling a telephone between your head and shoulders which also strains your neck. Speaker phone is a better option.
6. When purchasing rubber soled shoes, place them on a flat surface next to each other and look at the back of the shoe to see if there is a difference in the height of the heels which can cause or aggravate knee/hip problems. How to properly do this is demonstrated on the YouTube video link on our website.
7. If your shoes have uneven heel wear, or you have foot flare, these are signs of arch issues. Discuss custom fit flexible orthotics with Dr. Floro
8. For an acute joint sprain promptly ice, elevate and rest the affected area and schedule an appointment with Dr. Floro unless it is a medical emergency.
9. To maintain proper posture when lifting, face the object, bend at the knees, and avoid twisting your torso.
10. When lying in bed or on the couch avoid propping your head at a sharp forward angle (such as on the armrest) to watch TV or read due to excessive neck strain.
11. With a good pillow your forehead and chin level should be level. Avoid sleeping on your stomach .On your back or side with arms to your side versus overhead and legs rested directly on top of each other when on your side is an ideal sleeping position.
12. For men avoid wearing a wallet in the back pocket of your pants which causes uneven pressure on your hips when you sit. Look for front pocket wallets available online or consider a money clip.